Saturday, November 20, 2010

Birthday catch-up#2

A few months ago, I set out to make plans for a combined bday party for the two older ones whose birthdays fall 10 days apart. In the past, I have made two specialty cakes which take (for me) inordinate amounts of time. This year I was to make only one cake.

The design? Well, I left that up to Josh & Emelye. They had to agree. The rules were simple -- talk to each other. I am not mediating. Don't beat each other. When you've reached a decision, let me know.

I thought this assignment in negotiation & compromise would, if nothing else, be entertaining for me. And honestly, being that she is older & more cunning than her 4-year-old brother, I thought I'd be making some kind of pink fru-fru cake that Josh "approved" and "wanted."

Emelye campaigned heavily for a pink Polly Pocket cake full of rainbows, unicorns, flowers and all sorts of pinky goodness. Josh would hear none of it. (I was cheering on his stead-fastness inside!) Josh said that having a Batman cake would be the better option. I was afraid that a stalemate would ensue & maybe even a physical fight. Gridlock. Two stubborn wills trying to go at it.

Then, in a truly "aha" moment, Emelye came to Josh with the ultimate compromise. A wedding cake. For Batman & Polly Pocket.


And, so, I (crudely) fashioned a Batman/Polly Pocket wedding birthday cake.

Now for a little pic explaining, top down . . .
#1 -- Mimi gave Emelye an American GIrl Doll, Emily.
#2 -- Emelye's new book, Danny the Duck with no Quack
#3 -- Emelye reading about Jenn & Mike taking her to the America Girl Doll place in ATL.





#4 & 5 -- Addie reaction upon seeing her new "Minnie Mouse" polka dot pants.
#6 -- Addie's very own Bitty Baby, American Doll.





#7 & 8 -- Josh opening a remote control Drifting Lightning & upon learning that Jenn & Mike were taking him to Dinosaur World in KY.




#9 & 10 -- The cake!



#11 -- the food

No comments: